- A study was done to see what they would correct in someones speech or writing.
- One twelfth of younger participants of the study thought it was ‘unacceptable’ that ‘they’ was used to describe someone instead of using ‘him’ or ‘her’
- It was a younger participant, however, who stated that ‘you’re’ spelt ‘your’ resulted in an “instant loss of respect”.
- Basically, young people care about different things in comparison with older generations when it comes to language.
- While ‘correct’ language use was seen as valuable, avoiding marginalising people was more important.
- “the gender of the person should be clear from the evidence before our eyes”.